We hope you've been looking forward to this posting all week after we shared a little foreshadow on Monday as to our recipe pick of the week.
Today's recipe, an asparagus stuffed chicken breast, is a great staple to any meal and can add that "wow factor" without the complexity many beginner cooks associate with home dining. Not all special nights have to incorporate food or dishes that take two hours to prepare, and from start to finish, you can have a complete hot meal in under 25 minutes - half of that being passive. We recommend sides of sprouts & carrots as pictured or our go-to: homemade fries.
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
1 tsp. Penzey’s Cajun Seasoning
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
4 slices sharp cheddar
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1 bundle asparagus - wood ends removed
2 tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch of cilantro leaves
1/2 Cup Classic Triple Crown BBQ Sauce
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook time 5 min
Bake time 10-15 min
Total Time: 20-25 min
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Turn on stove top and place pan with oil on low heat – this is for cooking the chicken
- In a medium sized bowl, mix asparagus with 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place chicken breasts on cutting board; Slit a pocket into each chicken breast (For simplicity, feel free to slit the chicken breast in ½ - leaving it attached so you can still fill later)
- Add chicken to the stove top pan and cook until golden on bottom, about 5 minutes. Flip chicken and cook until second side is golden, about 5 minutes more. If you slit the chicken breast in 1/2, you can open up the chicken breast and cook the middle as well
- Remove chicken from stove top and stuff each with sharp cheddar and asparagus. Secure with toothpicks if needed
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- While baking mix lemon juice, garlic powder and seasoning,
- Remove chicken from oven and check that it has been cook thoroughly
- Spread lemon mix evenly over chicken breasts
- Top with cilantro
- Drizzle classic Triple Crown Sauce on top for a sweet touch
*Feeling ambitious? Try adding bacon to the recipe – We recommend using a separate pan and cooking the bacon in the oven for 10 minutes while the chicken is prepped to bake. Once the chicken is ready to be moved to the oven, remove the bacon and put on top of the chicken before then inserting the breasts into the oven.